When I was Parkour training in London a couple of weeks ago, my performance suffered due to not drinking enough water. I usually drink bottles of water when I train, but I forgot to take into consideration it was a hot summer’s day. Therefore I did not consume enough water to replenish and I became dehydrated. By the evening, I was feeling light-headed and found it hard to focus on even the basic of moves, not to mention cramping of my calf muscles. So it was a mistake to learn from.
The Institute of Medicine advises that:
Men consume roughly 3.0 litres (13 cups) of total beverages a day.
Women consume 2.2 litres (9 cups) of total beverages a day.
Causes of dehydration are:
* Overall lack of fluid intake
* Lack of fluid before, during and after intensive training
* Through Persperation (especially on hot summer day)
* Through increased urination because of high Caffine intake
* Through increased urination because of high Protein intake
Signs and symptoms of dehydration include:
* Mild to excessive thirst
* Little or no urination
* Muscle weakness
* Dry mouth
* Dizziness / light-headedness